Friday, April 5, 2024

Wednesday morning I went to the shooting range and was surrounded by women!

Those women were not at the shooting range as a group; this was not a social "get-together" for them.  Nope!  Actually THURSDAY is the official LADIES DAY when the range owner offers the ladies discount range time.  Each of these four individuals (in the two lanes on either side of the lane that I was assigned) obviously were there to do some serious gunslinging, each having their own motivations.  

The youngest of the aforementioned shooters was maybe around 50 years old and had three different handguns she was diligently working, and I mean she was WORKING those irons. Two of the other women were between early and mid-sixtyish. My guess is the fourth might have been around my age (septuagenarian category).  NOTE: EACH OF THEM WAS PROFICIENT WITH THEIR RESPECTIVE MID-SIZE CENTER-FIRE SEMI-AUTOS!  There wasn't a puffy little .22, .25 or a .32 pocket-gun among them, just concealed-carry-size loud-and-proud 9mm self-defense handguns.  Each woman had her own lane, each fired respectable groups on the targets that each had set at challenging distances.  Each policed their own area when done shooting and each exited the range alone.  Somewhere on the spectrum between recreational fun and dire-necessity each of us had a personal motivation for being at the range that Wednesday morning and each of us had the personal challenges of life to deal with afterwards.  
-----

Anyhoo, I mentioned in an earlier blog post that I felt a motivation to go to the range because I have a CCL re-qualification coming up next week and I had not been to a shooting range for two years (deaths in family, illnesses in family, sick pet, dead pet, etc.) My being at the range Wednesday morning was not a life or death issue for me;  I simply needed to see if my skills were up for the aforementioned re-qual task and I REALLY needed to have some fun; I truly needed some ME time.


The shooting range was sold out of the official targets used for state qualification (shown above) sooooo I had to improvise with a surrogate target (shown below).

I purchased two "Gacy" targets.  

The first target was used for a pseudo qualifier with 10-rounds fired at each distance 
(15-ft, 21-ft, and 30-feet). 

The second target I set at 30-ft and used up the balance of my ammo on head-shots and double-taps.  For this session I burned through 80-rounds of 9mm ammo, most of it +P+ 


-----------
😎
-------
/McB

2 comments:

  1. By just reading the post title, I was going to ask what cologne you were wearing. :)
    Glad to hear the ladies are at the range, honing their skills for defending themselves. All good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh! Most folks do find the smell of Hoppes 9 (an old-school bore cleaning solvent) to be quite pleasant. I may splash some on next time.

    /McB

    ReplyDelete